Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Really, August?

I can't believe how this summer has just disappeared.  I guess part of my surprise comes from the lack of summer fun this year.  Usually when summer hits Kris and I go to farmer's markets, yard sales, and spend nearly every day eating some kind of bar-b-que that he thinks up.  Except for a quick one day trip up to Monson, Maine for a fantastic BBQ fest Kris and I have been holed up inside out house out in Corinth Maine.

When we first moved out to the area about a year ago, I was really excited.  I loved the idea of living in the middle of no-where and about a half hour away from a decent sized town.  In a lot of ways I think that I would still love the set up if a few things were changed.  But the set up makes it a bit hard o celebrate summer the way we used to.

We've tried a couple of farmer's markets in this area and so far, none of them are worth driving 15 minutes to a half hour to get to.  The same could be said for yard sales, nearly everything is too spread out to make an afternoon of it.  And BBQ?  Well unless you travel over an hour north of us to Monson, there isn't good BBQ nearby.  At home we'd been living off of a reved up propane thing designed for camping.  After one year the top had rusted off and so we were stuck, buy another cheap $30 thing or wait for the end of summer sales to get a nicer one.  We are still planning to move back out west in two years and have to weigh our purchases with the thought of will we want to haul it out to Idaho and is it worth it for just a couple of years if we don't want to bring it.

But that hasn't been the only thing holding us inside.  Kris and I have been busy outside of our normal 'day' jobs.  His etsy shop has been doing great especially with some of the newest items.  But it takes hours out of his schedule that would have been spent on the house or having fun.  As for me, books books and more books!  As soon as I think I'm done with something and have it perfect it seems that there is something else that pops up.  I've been getting ready for the release of my third romance book in September, a fourth in November and trying to write a dark children's fantasy book that I wanted to get out to some agents this fall.  I finally had to set aside the fantasy book, I have too much to do already!

So now that it is August I hope to slow down, at least a little.  Kris and I plan to go camping for a weekend with the dogs this month.  A bit of fresh air will do us both a bit of good.

No comments:

Post a Comment